Sunday, February 16, 2014

Attempt at Hoity-Toity Valentines

Let's start this off with a confession.

I stink at small details.  Give me a big brush and I can go to town towards a goal.  The bigger the brush, the higher the perspective, the better.  Call me the big picture gal who is always flying at 50,000 feet.

This is why I stink at things like Valentines Day.  Valentines is about minute details which are not my niche.

Due to the incessant winter, school was cancelled on Valentines 2014.  Little guy was so dishearten about not having his class party.  He was down right mopey.

Rescue mom instinct kicked in.

The plan:  a hoity-toity meal under candle light.

I lucked out.  A beef roast with potatoes and carrots was simmering in the crock pot.  Add a fresh salad and a dessert.  Hoity-toity and simple as pie.

And what for a dessert?  Something simple and elegant and just make a statement with the presentation.

My thought:   an effortless parfait.  Layer a little pudding, fruit, and granola in a wine glass.  Easy and quick.

Flying at my usual 50,000 feet, I missed a few details.  I had no pudding or granola on hand. The fruit was all frozen.

On behalf of Valentines Day, I overcame the devilish details.

An hour and half later, here's the "easy-peasy" completed dessert.
Not too bad.  I have to admit feeling pretty super mom.

So what if I had to wash the wine glasses first due to dust from no use?  So what if the candle holder hunt took me numerous catch-all places in the house?

So what if the kitchen looked like this?

The behind the scene look at a  valiant attempt at hoity-toity. 

I will not share with you the sauce pan with scorched homemade pudding soaking in the sink or the kitchen floor covered with corn starch from the explosion of opening the new box.

But I will share with you Little Guy's comment:
  Mom, I do not like all the stuff on my pudding.  I like plain better.
And this is why I tend to cook things in one big pot while flying at 50,000 feet.

Hope everyone had a Happy Valentines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment